They may look elegant in their simplicity, but many steps were involved in getting there. (Click on the photo for a larger version.)
Starting with a thin 3" X 3" sheet of copper, I used very fine steel wool and kitchen cleanser to abrade it; stamped it with decorative designs using special carved stamps and ink.
The sheet was then immersed in a caustic solution for 45 minutes. It emerged quite blackened and had to be steelwooled vigorously to remove all the caustic agent.
Next it was "antiqued" with Liver of Sulfur, a smelly concoction much used by jewelers to add a patina and definition to their pieces. Again vigorous cleaning with the steel wool and then I used a disk cutter to make as many small 1/2" and 3/4" disks as I could out of the now-etched sheet.
Oh yes, I also tried to center the designs to best effect on the disks and each had to be sanded as the cutter had left edges which were quite sharp. Finally, I used a dapping block to form and shape each disk.
At last they were ready to be made into "simple, but elegant" pieces of jewelry!